View Single Post
Old 08-03-13, 10:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to pete barc

Peter Barc on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Standing on the Focsle..

This reminds me of a story that happend to me and i,m sure many others... I was a lad of about 16 on the Heye-P and we were on passage from Hamburg to Bremen somewhere out near the Elbe 1 light/vessel and the Capt called me urgently from my bed at about 0300 hrs to stand watch on the Focsle because of the Dense fog and heavy traffic and i,m not too sure if the radar was working, but anyway i quickly got dressed warmly and ran to the focsle still half asleep with the small plug in intercom talkback system that we had onboard and whilst i was on my knees on the focslse screwing this intercom into its socket i then looked forward into the fog and saw the loom of our mast headlight and a dark vertical line that we were heading directly for, I panicked and started to run aft and got half way along the hatch were i quickly glanced forward again but this time did not see this frightening line so i started to go forward again and to my surprise realised that the line was the shadow of the mast stay from the mast light :roll: Jesus the relief i felt
pete
I only went to Sea
To go Ashore

Peter Barc