Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > This and That > Miscellaneous - Verschiedenes
FAQDonate Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-12, 09:47 PM

Default Sailing schooner "Invermore"

Here is the story Alec (Trader) posted as reply to "Coaster from Norway" at Coasters-remembered.
Luckily, I stored it on my PC for translating in german, so it didn`t get lost. Luckily I could save the reply from Robert Hilton too...

Hi Dierk,

Another nice story. It reminds me of when I worked in a shipping agents office in Manchester before I went to sea. We were agents for most of the coasters that came up to Manchester, they were mostly in the Irish sea trade, coal from Manchester to Ireland, stone from North Wales to Manchester etc.

One little coaster was the sailing schooner "Invermore" which was skipper owned by Capt. J. Tyrell of Arklow. She loaded about 200 tons of coal at Partington (Manchester Ship Canal) for Arklow or Wicklow, I don't remember which one. She sailed from Partington and proceeded down the canal, when the vessel left Eastham, the last lock on the canal, we would send a telegram to the receivers of the cargo so they would know that the vessel was on its way.

On this particular trip the vessel never arrived at Eastham and everyone wondered where she was. The Canal company had no news of her, apparently the skipper had tied up on some berth miles from anywhere and no one knew she was there. She was there for two or three days before they made a move, as she was skipper/owned I suppose the skipper could please himself. We never did find out what happened, maybe she had engine trouble, there was very little telephone communication in those days, (1950).

I always remember this little coaster as when I went down on board with money and papers etc. the skipper gave me some Irish butter to give to my mother. We still had food rationing in those days in England and there was none in Ireland. My mother was over the moon when I gave it to her.

Alec.

Posted with kind permission from Alec

Robert Hilton 01-23-2011 09:07 AM
I saw the abandoned wreck of the Invermore lying aground within sight of the Royal Naval College at Dartmouth in 1971 when I was there as voluntary seamanship instructor on the STV Captain Scott, long since sold to the Omanis through lack of interest in Britain.

Last edited by Dierk Bauer; 08-10-12 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Adding reply from Robert Hilton
Old 08-10-12, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default In Deutsch: Sailing schooner "Invermore"

Für unsere deutschen Mitglieder die Übersetzung, hoffe es ist richtig

Hi Dierk,
eine weitere nette Geschichte. Es erinnert mich an die Zeit als im Büro eines Schiffsmaklers in Manchester gearbeitet hatte, bevor ich zur See fuhr. Wir waren Agenten für die meisten Küstenschiffe die nach Manchester kamen, überwiegend in der Irlandfahrt, Kohle von Manchester nach Irland , Steine von Nordwales nach Manchester, usw.

Ein kleines Küstenschiff war der Segelschoner „Invermore“, die den Kapitän J. Tyrell aus Arklow gehörte.. Sie lud ungefähr 200 Tonnen Kohle in Partington (Manchester Ship Canal), die für Arklow oder Wicklow bestimmt waren. Ich weiß nicht mehr wer von beiden. Sie verließ Partington und fuhr den Kanal herunter, wenn das Schiff Eastham, die letzte Schleuse am Kanal, passierte sendeten wir ein Telegramm an den Empfänger der Ladung, damit sie wussten, das das Schiff unterwegs war.
Auf dieser Fahrt aber war das Schiff nie in Eastham angekommen, und jeder wunderte sich wo sie war .Die Kanalgesellschaft hatte keine Nachricht von ihr, wahrscheinlich hatte der Kapitän an einen Liegeplatz einige Meilen entfernt von irgendwo festgemacht und niemand wusste das sie dort war. Sie lag dort wohl 2 oder 3 Tage bevor sie wieder weiterfuhr. Da der Kapitän auch Eigner war, nehme ich an, fühlte er sich niemanden verantwortlich. Wir haben nie erfahren was los war, vielleicht hatte er ja Maschinenschaden, es ja auch zu der Zeit (1950) nur unzureichende Telefonverbindungen.

Ich erinnere mich immer wieder gern an den kleinen Schoner, denn wenn ich mit Papieren, Geld oder anderen an Bord kam, gab mir der Kapitän immer etwas irische Butter für meine Mutter mit. Es gab zu dieser Zeit immer noch Lebensmittelrationierung in England, aber keine in Irland. Meine Mutter hatte sich über alle Maßen gefreut, wenn ich ihr die Butter mitbrachte