Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > This and That > Harbours, Docks and Waterways > Great Britain > Other Harbours, Docks and Waterways

Old 08-10-12, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default RiverColne,Rowhedge,Wivenhoe,Roman River etc.

Hi Malc, Paul and the other lads who are interested, like to post for a start your comments/replies, maybe you remember some of it

coasterspotter 02-21-2011 01:13 PM
Hi Malc

Yes it is very hard to believe. I guess that there must have been a bit of silting since the last ship went up to Fingringhoe Mill. I was lucky enough to see a few of the L&R barges going up there, some with Portreeve up front. Any idea what the largest vessel was to go up there, I think Subro Venture was the largest I saw.

All the best

Paul

malc hooley 02-22-2011 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterspotter (Post 357)
Hi Malc

Yes it is very hard to believe. I guess that there must have been a bit of silting since the last ship went up to Fingringhoe Mill. I was lucky enough to see a few of the L&R barges going up there, some with Portreeve up front. Any idea what the largest vessel was to go up there, I think Subro Venture was the largest I saw.

All the best

Paul
Hi paul I had the subro venture for her last few trips up there taking maize from rotterdam to the mill.i dont know if she was the largest to go there or not possibly was ? and we had the portreeve tow us up and back !! good old days

coasterspotter 02-22-2011 10:20 PM
Hi Malc. Thanks for you reply. That must have been an interesting trip up to the mill. I seem to recall a vessel not making it on one tide and it sat on the last left hand bend until the next tide. I think that could have been a Subro.
Nice little ships, really liked seeing them especially Venture and Vesta.

All the best

Paul

malc hooley 02-23-2011 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterspotter (Post 366)
Hi Malc. Thanks for you reply. That must have been an interesting trip up to the mill. I seem to recall a vessel not making it on one tide and it sat on the last left hand bend until the next tide. I think that could have been a Subro.
Nice little ships, really liked seeing them especially Venture and Vesta.

All the best

Paul
Hi paul yes they were a great company to work for 9 years i have had the pleasure of sailing on all but the Viking and enjoyed every miniute of it all the camaradery, wind ups, runs ashore ,even the bollockings !! it was very enjoyable but sadly no more.i remember the gazelle getting stuck there for a set of tides but that was an ocupational hazard we were lucky enough to get neaped at wells a few times where we could walk ashore to the pub at low water and get a lift back ( in the pilot boat but thats another story !!) robbo remember wading ashore in our best gear with plastic fertilizer bags as waders !!! (they say it draws you further than gunpowder can blow u !! )

Best regards malc

coasterspotter 04-17-2011 09:08 PM
Hubbards Scrap Berth

Hi All

Has anyone got or ever seen a photograph of a ship at Hubbards Scrap Berth at Rowhedge, River Colne? I can recall small Cresent ships such as Horation, Ignition and Bencol there. I would be interested to see any pictures.

Thanks

Paul
Old 25-01-13, 07:29 PM

Default Rowhedge and River Colne

These were part of a set of postcards depicting the village of Rowhedge. Also included was a stern view of Baccarat which i will endeavour to find and post in due course.

Cheers

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img167.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	4545   Click image for larger version

Name:	img169.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	4546   Click image for larger version

Name:	img183.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	4547  
Old 23-02-13, 11:03 PM

Default High St. and High Water at Rowhedge, 1966

A couple more photos of Rowhedge when I was working there on a laid up motor yacht. How are you Paul,?

Alec.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H.W. High St, Rowhedge  1966.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	5234   Click image for larger version

Name:	H.W. Rowhedge 1966.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	5235  
Old 25-02-13, 12:15 PM

Hi Alec

I am fine thanks, hope that you are too.

Yes that brings back memories, rode through the water on my bike many a time when I was a kid. Not a good time to be in The Anchor when the tide was that high :-)

Cheers

Paul
Old 20-05-14, 06:59 PM

Proof that the Port of Colchester is not completely dead. A fishing vessel under construction on the site that was once a wood yard. Dated 19/04/2014
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image00092.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	24595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00093.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	24596  
Old 07-02-16, 04:47 PM

Default Rowhedge Wharf

View from Wivenhoe of Rowhedge Wharf in 1978. Vessels in port were Jytte Dania amd Union Moon.

Regards

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	535033_10207901251351343_1765364404378753664_n.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	36608