Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > Announcements and News > Maritime News

Old 03-01-15, 05:31 PM

Default Major search after ship overturns

A major search operation has been launched after a vessel overturned off the north of Scotland.

Eight people are reported to have been on board the Cypriot-registered Cemfjord, a cargo ship carrying cement.

The upturned hull was found by a passing ferry in the Pentland Firth.

Four lifeboats, two rescue helicopters and other vessels are searching for the crew. Shetland Coastguard is co-ordinating rescue efforts.

The NorthLink ferry Hrossey also took part in the early stages of the operation.

The 83m Cemfjord had been sailing to Runcorn in Cheshire.

The last confirmed sighting of the vessel was at about 13:00 on Friday. It is understood the alarm was raised by the crew of the ferry Hrossey at 14:30 on Saturday.

Darkness

According to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, they reported no survivors in the immediate vicinity.

As darkness fell, lifeboats from Stromness, Scrabster, Longhope and Wick were searching the area along with the helicopters, the Shetland coastguard aircraft and an RAF rescue helicopter.

Bill Farquhar from the Wick RNLI station said: "We got a call this afternoon about two o'clock that the Shetland ferry - the Hrossey - she had spotted the hull of a coaster upside down 10 miles east of Pentland Skerries.

"The last known position on marine traffic was at quarter past one yesterday, so that was the last known position we had of the ship.

"The weather at that time yesterday was pretty, pretty, bad."

He added: "I don't know what happened after that and I don't think anyone does to tell you the truth."

Cemfjord : http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...fjord&x=13&y=3
Old 03-01-15, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Hi Rick, thank you very much for this sad information...

still no good news

http://www.sun-fm.com/news/national/...-off-scotland/
Old 16-01-15, 10:39 PM

Default Wreck of Cemfjord - perhaps a search for the lost crew will be carried out....

I saw this news on the site beneath:

Owners of cargo ship which sank in the Pentland Firth explore possibility of recovering bodies of the crew
The owners of a cargo ship which capsized and sank in the Pentland Firth are exploring the possibility of attempting to recover any bodies of the crew.
The Cemfjord - which was carrying cement - sank earlier this month.
It is believed the bodies of the crew - seven Polish nationals and one Filipino - could still be on board.
The owners of the ship said difficult decisions had to be made over safety and feasibility.
No trace of the crew was found despite an extensive search operation.
A memorial service is set to take place in Wick this Sunday.

http://maritime-connector.com/news/general/owners-of-cargo-ship-which-sank-in-the-pentland-firth-explore-possibility-of-recovering-bodies-of-the-crew/
The pictures are either from my own collection and/or from the archives on the Bangsbo Museum in Frederikshavn in DK and/or from the Danish Maritime Museum in Elsinore, DK. Dates, locations and photographers are unknown factors if they are not specifically mentioned.