Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > For our members - Für unsere Mitglieder > Picture of the Day / Bild des Tages

Old 10-07-16, 01:03 PM

Default AOLUS Imo 502063

* This is probably one of the last German owned steam coasters trading at the time.She is seen here at Dunston Staithes on the River Tyne, in 1962.

German, AOLUS, - Capt Herbert Wietzke Kiel-Holtenau. (Built by Burmeister & Wain, as WASHINGTON for Danish owners Dmpskacties H. Kirkschner;1010 grt,comp. 16/1/1908.)

Subsequent History:1909 Sold to Lilleborg A/S D/S Neptun of Kobenhavn renamed LILLEBORG .1912 Sold to Seefahrt Dampfs Reederi A.G., Bremen, renamed ADRANA.
At the outbreak of war in August 1914 she was seized in the port of Rouen, taken over by the French Navy, renamed MARGUERITE and used first as a transport then as a Q ship.
1923 She was returned to Scandinavia and renamed HELLE by Swedish owners Rederi A/B Kinnervick .1959 Sold to Ilmari Tuuli of Finland and renamed MARKUS .1962 Sold to Captain Herbert Wietzke of Holtenau and renamed AOLUS.

Disposal Data:1964 Broken up at Randers by Danish ship breakers Loegstrup.

* for further history,discussions and a photos - one the same as mine, see these websites.
http://www.aanimeri.fi/gallery2/main...2_itemId=19554
http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.net...jet_1569_1.htm

Rick Cox collection,unknown photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AOLUS 1908 .jpg
Views:	583
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	37088   Click image for larger version

Name:	AOLUS REVERSE OF PHOTO .jpg
Views:	537
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	37089  

Last edited by Rick R.I.P.; 11-07-16 at 08:37 AM. Reason: additional image-reverse
Old 05-12-18, 02:46 PM

Default Aolus

This photograph was taken by Malcolm Donnelly. It was included in the 1997 publication CLASSIC COASTERS by Paul Boot and Roy Fenton.
Some copyright infringement somewhere along the line!
Old 05-12-18, 04:10 PM

Clearly listed by the late Rick Cox as unknown photographer with an honest statement at the time. No evidence of anything untoward by this great guy on the rear of the image.

Well said, Rick. RIP.
Old 05-12-18, 06:48 PM

Leslie, not for a moment did it occur to me that Rick would ever have been involved in something untoward.
My sincere apologies for any offence I may have caused.

Last edited by Ronnskar; 05-12-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 11:36 PM

Thank you my friend - it takes a big man to offer a public apology, but you have done nothing wrong at all and no offence was ever taken. I think CR does better than a lot of websites in stating whether the source of an image is known or not. It was a discipline from Rick and Peter that endures still.

If we should tread on other peoples' toes, by inadvertently publishing an image without due credit to the source or without prior permission; I feel sure Dierk and other moderators have a policy to appease the offended!

I look forward to Coasters Remembered being around for a while to come and with our members freely sharing images for the interest of other members.

Smooth Seas

Leslie
Old 06-12-18, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Good morning Leslie and Ronnskar,
thank you very much for your efforts

Re copyright issues, Rick always did act and credited the photos to the photographer. As he is no longer able, I did often add the information to his postings, when I find out, wether on CR or other "social media"

When I find a photo, which I`ve seen from another photographer some where else, am contacting the poster via PM, asking for clarification.

One has to be careful, not "stepping on other members toes".
Did contact a member once, as I saw his photo on Shipspotting.com too, but from another photographer and he told me that the other, well known photographer was standing beside him, taking photos too.
One could see the differences only by looking at both photos

Like to ask, if it is okay with you, that I leave Rick`s posting "untouched", as your comments say it all.

Tschüss and all the best
Dierk
Old 06-12-18, 08:02 AM

Good morning Dierk.
Yes, please leave the posting as it is.
Thanks.
Best wishes

Ronnskar