Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > Requests for Pictures, Identities and other Informations > Unknowns
FAQDonate Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-13, 12:56 AM

Default TM-328 Medvegalis, Klaipeda, USSR/LIT, IMO: 6875873

Hello Ronnskar...

I´ll try to help you with this data on the ship you photographed on the River Tyne in 1968.

She is a tanker named "Medvegalis" from Klaipeda in the USSR and later in Lithuania:

TM-328 Medvegalis, Klaipeda, USSR/LIT, IMO: 6875873, callsign: UJBJ, built: 1957, Elbewerft, DDR, # 1607, 304 GT/BRT, 508 TDW/DWT, L= 43,10 m, LP/P= 38,30 m, B= 7,30 m, 1 diesel engine, speed= 9 knots

She was owned by the USSR, (Zapryba), Klaypeda from 1957 until 1991.
From 1991 until ????, she was owned by Stevedoring Stock Co. "Klaipeda's Smelte".

She was deleted from registry in 2002.

She was built in DDR as an export ship to USSR.

She was built by Elbewerft, Boizenburg apparently as # 1607 in 1957. (I think that it is a high number of newbuildings, but I can´t find any reason to doubt it. The yard existed in some 200 years. (1793-1997). The yard was unharmed in the 2. WW and the Russians never dismantled it after the war ended like they did with many east German factory´s, so they could just keep on building ships right away for the USSR, Cuba and other eastern-friendly states...

During my research I haven´t yet been able to find any additional pictures, but I´ll let you know if I find any in the future....

I hope you can use this information on "your" ship from the Rive Tyne in 1968... and/or perhaps somebody else know more of this ship than I have been able to find for you....

Have a nice day my friend.
Kindest regards from the northern tip of Europe.
Roedspaetten alias Kent