Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > Announcements and News > Maritime News
FAQDonate Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-14, 11:46 PM

Default Evelyn Maersk Rescues 352 from Sinking Vessel

The crew of Evelyn Maersk, a container ship en route from Suez to Algeciras, participated on Saturday, August 30, in a search and rescue operation launched in an effort to find a fishing boat sinking off Sicily, carrying hundreds of immigrants on board.
One of the Mediterranean’s RCC centers sent a request to the container ship to head towards the fishing boat which was experiencing engine trouble and was taking in water.
After more than 10 hours of searching, Evelyn Maersk found the disabled and sinking fishing boat with a list of 30 degrees.
352 immigrants, among them 43 children in bad physical condition, were boarded on the container ship on Sunday, August 31.
Evelyn Maersk reached Trapani, Sicily, on Monday, September 1, where the immigrants disembarked the next day, and were given medical care.
The immigrants are reportedly refugees from Syria and the Horn of Africa.
Evelyn Maersk resumed the interrupted schedule upon the landing of the refugees in Sicily, Tuesday, September 2.

World Maritime News Staff; September 02, 2014
Share this article from World Maritime News

What a fantastic story, (Wonder why it has been so totally ignored by at least the Danish press/newspapers/radio stations - and TV-news-programs - ???).... Unlike when the similar event in 1975 when Clara Mærsk picked up nearly 4000 Vietnamese boat-refugees and brought them to Hong Kong, took place. Back then the Danish press was very excited, but not this time... Wonder why....?? Perhaps saving 352 souls is nothing worth writing/talking about in our trouble times in this restless "news-hungry" world we live in...?

==========
A job well done..... Very well done...... My deepest/greatest respect for the crew on board her..... Just imagine the difficulties they must have met, and solved, getting all these people on board from a sinking and listing vessel at sea-level.... With all kinds of people in different conditions, ages, health and strength.... Just wonder how they managed to overcome all these different challenges without loosing or injuring any of all these traumatised people....
I remove my hat/cap from my head in respect of the crew and their great skill´s & seamanship.
Regards
Kent
The pictures are either from my own collection and/or from the archives on the Bangsbo Museum in Frederikshavn in DK and/or from the Danish Maritime Museum in Elsinore, DK. Dates, locations and photographers are unknown factors if they are not specifically mentioned.