Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > This and That > Postings from "The good old days"

Old 10-03-13, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Whats in a Name

Hi all, discovered this thread, but could only retrieve Page 2
It is not mentioned who created it, only that the last post was made by Pete Barc...

Whats in a Name
We all see Ships with names but what do those names really mean, as every name has a meaning or story behind it ..here is a thread to write about and see some of those ships names and find out what they mean..
Old 10-03-13, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted by Jim Campbell on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Ship names, all our family boats started with the letter A apart from the Rosemount which was not built for me but as she was a lucky name and number for me I never got round to changing it . Ironicaly !ns 177 was later assigned to the Andromeda 11 (skipper Angus Davidson) whom I sold the original Andromeda to and like her predesessor she turned out to be one of the most succesful seine-net boats in Scotland. Contrary to local belief that it was after greek mythology name she was named, it was off a Long playing record ( now I am showing my age) by John Denver called " Farewell Andromeda" it just happened to fit in with the family tradition, he is still my favourite singer of all time and I twice had the privelige to see him perform live

jim campbell
Old 10-03-13, 10:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to pete barc

Peter Barc on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:47 pm

it was off a Long playing record ( now I am showing my age) by John Denver called " Farewell Andromeda" it just happened to fit in with the family tradition,

Jim i named my daughter Sara and that was because of Fleetwood mac because i liked the song "Sarah"...
I bet John Baird has a son called "Elvis" :lol:
I only went to Sea
To go Ashore

Peter Barc
Old 10-03-13, 10:11 PM

Leslie Spurling on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:02 pm

This has got me thinking about London & Rochester Trading Company's series of motorised barges named FLANAGAN, KNOX, NERVO, GOLD & NAUGHTON which were all named after members of the Crazy Gang.

Then amongst the motorised barges they had the RO (for Rochester) names: ROAN, ROBUST, ROCK, RODENT, ROER, ROFFEN, ROGUL, ROHOY and ROINA, whilst the LO (for London) series were LOACH, LOBE, LOCATOR, LODELLA - in both series, the third letter was the next alphabetical letter. Thus amongst the coasters, the naming sequence was similar: ACTION, BASTION, CAPTION, DICTION, ELATION, FUNCTION, GILLATION, HORATION, IGNITION, JUBILATION, KIPTION and LIBATION. The larger ships - AMBIENCE, BLATENCE, CADENCE, DOMINENCE, ELOQUENCE, FAIENCE as well as CRESCENCE, GARDIENCE, HALCIENCE etc. Not forgetting their Francis & GILDERS ships registered at Colchester, ANDESCOL & BENCOL - it is amazing how the names flood back.

Anyway, time to put the kettle on.

Les
Old 10-03-13, 10:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to pete barc

Peter Barc on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:43 pm

Dutch coaster called "Drie Gebrs" (three Brothers)
I only went to Sea
To go Ashore

Peter Barc