Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > This and That > My first voyage - Meine erste Reise

Old 26-02-13, 08:19 PM

Default Wavecrest

I am not sure if this counts as I have never had a career at sea but i thought i would set the ball rolling on this one.
Back in 1984 during the coal strike the River Colne was busy with ships bringing in imported coal. December 8th looked promising and there were 2 ships due that i was interested in, Wavecrest and Gerda Vesta.
On arrival at Rowhedege Wharf the Wavecrest was already in unloading coal, and the Valur discharging fishmeal,and Delta G was passing bound Colchester.
A lull in workings gave me opportunity to inspect both vessels but a quick resumption meant I had to talk "the long way round". I was just about to walk when a shout came from Wavecrest" Fancy a trip to Colchester?". It was one of the local pilots who knew my interest. " sure"
There was one condition, I had to assist the seaman on the bow with the ropes, but to be honest he had no time for a passenger and just chatted.
We left the quay as Valur was backing up to take our berth, and Gerda Vesta was about to swing . It was great to see the village where i lived from the bow of a coaster,and see the look on the faces of those i knew as we passed.
The rest of the voyage was spent in the wheelhouse and passed without incident. The one anxious moment was when we approached the pumping station the harbour master advised that the tide as virtually stopped, and I was advised that it could be a night on board. I am not sure if that was a joke or not but the tide made a final push and we arrived at Colchester.
The pilot was taking the Celtic Clipper out to Brightlingsea so I had to walk the mile or so home. And of course it started raining but i was happy.

Cheers

Paul
Old 27-02-13, 01:04 PM

Hi Paul that was a busy time I remember, ships unloading coal Brightlingsea,Rowhedge,Wivenhoe etc. Used to fix quite a few with coal Elisabeth Clipper,Helene Clipper being two of our 'regulars' that spring to mind. Also we used to look after the Agency as well.I remember the Wavecrest, was'nt she owned by Alana Everett from Romford or Rayleigh, can you remember? Cheers Gareth
Old 27-02-13, 06:33 PM

Hi Gareth

Sorry can't help you there, although if i remember she was Spanish built.

Yes it was a very busy period and I remember those Clipper vessels well. I think they may have brought coal from Savona.

Cheers Paul
Old 28-02-13, 08:33 AM

Hi Paul Alan Everett I mean not Alana........ Poland loading from memory but we could have fixed one from Savona with Coking Coal, can't remember afraid Cheers Gareth ps there used to be a couple of Greek ships with coal as well but can't remember their names, was like Piccadilly Circus then
Old 28-02-13, 08:35 AM

Hi Paul, the Cape Crest and Mount Crest were Spanish built, owned by Coastal Motor Ships where I worked 1980-1982 doing the chartering for them.Cheers Gareth