Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > This and That > Harbours, Docks and Waterways > Great Britain > Other Harbours, Docks and Waterways

Old 08-10-12, 07:16 PM

Default Par Harbour

Am sorry that Kent (Roedspaetten) is still not feeling well, guess he would have reposted it already

Roedspaetten 04-04-2011 07:22 PM
Links to pics from Par Harbour

I think this kind of pictures are great and I enjoy to look at them, hope some of you feel the same way....

http://www.foweypilots.com/par/pictures/par_1960s.jpg

http://www.foweypilots.com/par/pictu...r_from_air.jpg

http://www.foweypilots.com/par/pictu...ovel_1930s.jpg

http://www.foweypilots.com/par/pictures/par_1905.jpg

Kent

Krispen 04-05-2011 09:29 PM
Like so many, a port which is no longer sees commerical movements - with the exception of the odd workboat or barge!
Very sad - I remember spending many times out on the end of the breakwater (after the long walk along the path known locally as 'Dog $h%t alley'!) on the tide to see the day's movements!
Krispen

Uniconnection Shipping 04-06-2011 10:03 AM
Kent/Krispen - Nice photos, the first one I count 9 ships in port!
Cheers Gareth

awateah2 04-07-2011 01:04 AM
I think the one dated in the 30's is not correct as it clearly looks like a wartime built Empire F 'Chant' in the background. regards

Roedspaetten 04-07-2011 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniconnection Shipping (Post 532)
Kent/Krispen - Nice photos, the first one I count 9 ships in port!
Cheers Gareth
Hi Gareth...
You`re right....It`s very nice pictures the Fowey-Pilot`s have put on their site.... I love to see this kind of pictures... Especially from all the places I`ve been my self while sailing in Bres-Line... If I didn`t already live in Frederikshavn, I would surely live somewhere in UK in one of the smaller villages/towns with a small harbour either by the seaside or next to one of the beautifull rivers you have "over-there"...

Gareth, not to mention anything about your eyes or the strength of your eye-sight, but if you have some glasses, perhaps you should try to put them on your nose and then try to count the ships in Par Harbour once again... Then I hope you also will be able to count to ten ships like the number I think, that I can see in the picture....
Sorry Gareth, hope you know me well enough to know, that I don`t mean anything bad or "ill-doing" by these words... I`m just teasing you now I got the chance to do so... I feel I know you well enough to know that you can take it Gareth...
My best wishes to you and the people you hold dearest...
Regards
Kent

Roedspaetten 04-07-2011 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispen (Post 531)
Like so many, a port which is no longer sees commerical movements - with the exception of the odd workboat or barge!
Very sad - I remember spending many times out on the end of the breakwater (after the long walk along the path known locally as 'Dog $h%t alley'!) on the tide to see the day's movements!
Krispen
Hi Krispen...
I understand your sad thoughts when you go down memory lane about Par Harbour... I feel the same way...
I also remember all the spectators that came down the harbour to see the ships coming into or leaving the harbour around high tide....
I didn`t know then, that you called it "Dog Shit Alley" to walk out to the pier head, but I can imagine why it had that name....smiler...
Regards
Kent

Roedspaetten 04-07-2011 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awateah2 (Post 534)
I think the one dated in the 30's is not correct as it clearly looks like a wartime built Empire F 'Chant' in the background. regards
Hi awateah2...
I`m not able to argue with you about your allegation on the age of the picture, but I trust that you know what you are talking about in this matter, otherwise you wouldn`t try to correct the mistake made by the pilot in Fowey.... Perhaps you would try to tell them so they get a chance to "repair" the falior on their site...?
Regards
Kent

Krispen 04-07-2011 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roedspaetten (Post 537)
Hi Krispen...
I understand your sad thoughts when you go down memory lane about Par Harbour... I feel the same way...
I also remember all the spectators that came down the harbour to see the ships coming into or leaving the harbour around high tide....
I didn`t know then, that you called it "Dog Shit Alley" to walk out to the pier head, but I can imagine why it had that name....smiler...
Regards
Kent
Well worth the walk though, especially when something decent was moving!! - Towards the end of Par's commercial operation the outer breakwater was fenced off preventing us to access and get them shots!
Krispen

Uniconnection Shipping 04-08-2011 07:45 AM
Hi Kent

Yes you're right I missed the one over on the far bottom left !
10 it is , cleaned the glasses great photo . I have one somewhere of The Hythe Colchester with a long row of ships, and a lot of Danes with their derricks swung outwards, hopefully i will find it and post it.Must have been quiet on the Deep Sea trade so they decided to load the lousy paying grain..........
Were you at BresLine when Peter Witt joined in the chartering dept ? Old friend of ours Peter
Cheers Gareth

Roedspaetten 04-15-2011 02:15 AM
Peter Witt....

Hi Gareth
As far as an older sailor can remember these days, then I`m not aware on mr. Peter Witt.... I can`t "put a face" on him, so I`m nearly sure, that he must have startet in Bres-Line after "my time" there was up.... I can see, that he is still present in the company`s office today... I was in Bresline in the first half of the seventies
I`ll look forward to see your photos Gareth, I will treasure them like the purest gold.
Have a very nice day and weekend Gareth and don`t do anything, that I wouln`t do or enjoy.

Best wishes
Kent
The pictures are either from my own collection and/or from the archives on the Bangsbo Museum in Frederikshavn in DK and/or from the Danish Maritime Museum in Elsinore, DK. Dates, locations and photographers are unknown factors if they are not specifically mentioned.
Old 30-06-13, 04:03 PM

Default par harbour

was in there one night in 1977 on the Brenda /c in a south east gale was not
very nice a german coaster broke adrift and finished up on the beach outside the harbour she later went ashore on lundy island and was total wreck
regards bob
Old 20-07-13, 07:51 AM

Default Par Harbour

Par Harbour on a busy day.

Rick Cox collection,unknown photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	par.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	9482   Click image for larger version

Name:	par  2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	9483  
Old 20-07-13, 10:46 AM

Default Night in

Quote:
Originally Posted by steuermann View Post
Par Harbour on a busy day.

Rick Cox collection,unknown photographer.
With all these ships in Par over the night/ weekend would have been a good run ashore up the Par Inn & a few hangovers on Monday morning.. LOL
Old 21-07-13, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Mission first then the Par Inn then on to the night club in St Austell