Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > This and That > Members Faces and Life Aboard

Old 22-10-14, 06:20 PM

Default Painting

A view taken at Newcastle Quay, River Tyne, around 1964.
I have no idea which vessel is having a face lift!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	30792  
Old 22-10-14, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnskar View Post
A view taken at Newcastle Quay, River Tyne, around 1964.
I have no idea which vessel is having a face lift!
...she's belonging to International Shipbrokers,a Dutch/English company.-Wilhemina V./Angelique V/ etc .etc.

Going by the first letter of her name-which you can just make out on her port bow,I would say that the Wilhemina V. is a good candidate.

Cheers,Rick

Last edited by Rick R.I.P.; 22-10-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 23-10-14, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the information Rick
Old 23-10-14, 10:29 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you so much for sharing this Picture... I simply love it.... it tells a greater story in my head from way down my "Memory-Lane" when I look at it... So nice to see photos of the life on board the ships back then... Love to see the old ways of doing things.... they were good seamen... I don´t say that they were better seamen back then, but they were really good most of them... And it brings me a lot of joy seeing these type of pictures...
So thank you very much for posting it...
Best Regards
Kent
The pictures are either from my own collection and/or from the archives on the Bangsbo Museum in Frederikshavn in DK and/or from the Danish Maritime Museum in Elsinore, DK. Dates, locations and photographers are unknown factors if they are not specifically mentioned.
Old 24-10-14, 08:30 AM

Here is another one Kent and a well known company.
A little harder to find the ship's name.
Jan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	30808  
Old 24-10-14, 10:48 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you very much Jan... It´s a very nice Photo.... and nowadays it is a seldom seen sight on-board the ships in the harbour.....
So thank you very much for sharing...
Best wishes
Kent
The pictures are either from my own collection and/or from the archives on the Bangsbo Museum in Frederikshavn in DK and/or from the Danish Maritime Museum in Elsinore, DK. Dates, locations and photographers are unknown factors if they are not specifically mentioned.
Old 26-10-14, 09:30 AM

Default Rita mærsk, 1955, imo: 5296977

Hi Jan, (and all of you other guys out there....)
Thanks for you Mærsk-photo of the crew painting the bow....
Here is another one for you from Rita Mærsk, (1955), laying anchored up in Hong Kong back in the last half of the 50`s or first half of the 60`s....
Please notice all the deck-crewmembers are painting on both sides of her bow.....

It´s from the time when there was a large crew on-board the ships and from the time when a visit to the Hong Kong Harbour for a full load of cargo easily could take 10-15-20 days with no problems at all....
Unlike the time spent in ports for modern sailors of today more likely is counted in hours....
Hope you like the photo....
Best wishes from
Kent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rita Mærsk, 1955, IMO= 5296977, built in NAKSKOV # 140, here seen  in Hong Kong..jpg
Views:	401
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	30871  
Old 05-11-14, 11:32 AM

Kent, here is another "maintenance" picture for you.
Many moons ago as you can judge by the old vessel Holmburn (1).
Around 1945-1950 I'll say.
Jan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1739080.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	31146  
Old 21-11-14, 06:09 PM

Default Thanks again Jan

Hi Jan....
Just got back on the Internet again, that´s why I did not reply you on your good picture before now....
I like it very much and I think you´re right about the age of it.... at least it is more than just a couple of days ago... smiler...
It looks like they are doing some repair-job to the fender-list on the ship...???? at least a couple or three meters of the fender-list looks somewhat different... And it´s not likely to do normal ships-maintenance
when working 3 men that close together on the side of the ship.... must be because they are holding/lifting something, perhaps heavy, up towards the side of the ship...
Like vice it is not normal with the extra spectators standing on the deck looking over the side and follow what the guys are doing...

A guess could very well be, that they are repairing the damages made by the skipper ramming the ship too hard into the quay..... smiler.... That happens you know... smiler.... Most time they (the captains), try to "report" the reasons for that kind of accidents as the results of "blackouts/malfunctions etc." smiler (And of course we always take their word for it..... smiler... don't we...?)..

Thank you very much for sharing the picture Jan...
Best wishes and regards from me up here in the dark, windy, rainy and chilly DK...
Kent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik View Post
Kent, here is another "maintenance" picture for you.
Many moons ago as you can judge by the old vessel Holmburn (1).
Around 1945-1950 I'll say.
Jan
Old 03-04-15, 10:30 PM

Default Maintenance in "the good old days"

This photo shows how the paint on the bow was maintained in most cases.... Not a lot safety-rules to follow at that time and not a lot of safety-papers to read or fill out.... Our life was a lot simpler back then... Some said we lived and worked in a dangerous, trade/industry/business, line of work.... But we did not see it that way.... We learned our trade from the old sailors and were taught how to solve problems that could occur and/or emerge on board a ship...
The safety level on board modern ships today did not exist back then.... We still learned to maintain the ships using the ways of the old sailors way back in time from the times of the sailing ships...
I´m sure that the sailors around my age will agree to and know the ways of working on the outside of the ships or on the bow on the ships... We all did things more or less the same way no matter which country we came from....
Therefore I'm sure they can relate to this picture and the working sailors hanging on the side of the ship... When you look at the photo one could perhaps think that we also would be able to work as trained artists in a circus.... and it sometimes felt just like that also....
Kind Regards
Kent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fridtjof Nansen= Matroser eller cirkus-artister der arbejder udenbords monstro.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	34220