Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > Announcements and News > Announcements

Old 19-12-19, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Default We never forget R.I.P.

In memory of everybody who perished at sea and the families and friends who lost their loved ones, I repost our 19th Dec 2012 posting.

Derek shared yesterdays post on Facebook, which can be viewed here:
https://www.facebook.com/derek.sands...52701204851392

Good afternoon all, I like to repost the thread created by diloxgladdok, in memory of everybody who perished at sea and the families and friends who lost their loved ones.....

12-19-2010, 10:26 AM

diloxglasdok
Junior Member Join Date: Dec 2010
Gallery: 0

union star

I would be very grateful if members who read this msg could hold a minutes silence at 8pm tonight in memory of mick moreton, family,crew and the crew of the solomon browne lifeboat from mousehole who lost their lives at 8pm on this day in 1981.
Never forgotten mick a sad loss to everyone who new you and the rest of the people who were lost.

12-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Ron Halliday

Gallery: 89

Union Star

Nicely put Di. I would think that Malcolm, Micks brother will appreciate the thoughts. rgrds to all

12-19-2010, 04:02 PM

kottemann
Administrator

Gallery: 4448

I was 11 when this tragedy took place and was also at sea for the Christmas holidays with my Mum and Dad and my 3 year old sister we were on route from Warrenpoint to Rotterdam as the whole tragedy unfolded. My Dad was so distraught at the whole incident that he flew us home from Holland.

I cannot even begin to imagine how this awful tragedy affected the families and friends of the people involved. A few years ago there was a documentary on the BBC were they played back the radio converstaions and I defy any man who has been to sea or not for that matter to watch it and not be moved.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the families of those involved and I know they will never be forgotten and thankyou Di for highlighting the anniversary. Also we should spare a moment for all those who have lost their lives at sea and for those who gave their lives trying to save them.

Regards Robbie

12-19-2010, 04:15 PM

diloxglasdok

robbie

Hi Robbie how very true your words are , my brother spent all his working life at sea for harrison line. I also have many friends at sea and lost some others as well one being a young man called john norgaard whose father axl was danish . It is the time of year for thoughts of friends past and present to come to the fore. Have a nice christmas Di x

12-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Dierk Bauer
Administrator Join Date: Dec 2010
Gallery: 1114

union star

Thank you very much for reminding us of this tragic loss and what it means still today for all the families who lost their loved ones.

Thanks again and for all who`ve to be at sea, we wish them allways a safe return

Kind regards
Dierk

12-20-2010, 04:52 AM

alangibb

l was on the rhine bound for cologne with the union moon when ut,s office
told me of the star, l also had my wife and 2 kids on board. on the way back
l had to load in neuss for penzance of all places, l sent my family home from rotterdam.
lt was certainly a tragic time.

12-20-2010, 10:05 PM

Thakey aka fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by diloxglasdok
I would be very grateful if members who read this msg could hold a minutes silence at 8pm tonight in memory of mick moreton, family,crew and the crew of the solomon browne lifeboat from mousehole who lost their lives at 8pm on this day in 1981.
Never forgotten mick a sad loss to everyone who new you and the rest of the people who were lost.
Hello Di' ,I'm sorry only just read this posting .. I remember the day and following few days very well.. I was doing a lot with U.T. at the time and it struck home, when a vessel I knew well made such sad headlines.. My Dad was still alive then and he paid special attention to the Lloyd's list 'casulties' as we lived just across the river from Deptford, and he felt like it was a local loss!

Missed the minute silence yesterday, but thinking of the day , ship, crew and first hearing of a place caled Mousehole, which will never be forgotten!

Nice touch..

Peter

12-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Robert Hilton
Member Join Date: Dec 2010

Sorry I missed the day. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to think of Mick and all the others. I would add one John Wedgewood who fell down the hold of the Saint Essylt when he missed the ladder with one hand and had a bucket in the other. We were hurrying to finish the job. His remains lie in the cemetry at Chacarita, Buenos Aires under a stone with an appropriate quotation from Rupert Brooke. No doubt between us we remember many more.

Last edited by Robert Hilton; 12-23-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Improved wording

12-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Dick Gregory

I was also at sea at this time & remember it well. Very sad & distressing. Like many, I have lost friends & aquaintances during a lifetime at sea.

12-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Leslie

I was living in Miami at the time and had 'phoned home to speak to my mother at Christmas when she told me of the disaster and how upset she was at the news - just to show that everything surrounding the disaster touched people who had no affinity with the sea.

Christmas and New Year is always a time for reflection and we remain the lucky ones.

Unquote

Thank you very much for your attention
Kind regards
Dierk
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
#2 Add Infraction for pete barc Report Post IP
Old 23-12-12, 03:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to pete barc
Its strange how we all remember where we were at certain tragic events, for example where were you when ? John F Kennedy got shot,, where were you when you first heard of the lockerbie disaster (Murders), where were you when 9/11 happended, where were you when the news of the Tsunami came out, but especially in detail i remember the sad fate of the "Union Star" it hit us so close to home ! mick his crew, family, i was on Dunball wharf weatherbound trying to get to the mersey with the small Anna H, i remember also next day close to us off Tuskar the Balmoral i think (Collier) also went down in the same weather front.
I also watched the TV interview afterwards when their marine super stated that his policy and the companys strict policy was for their Masters not to hesitate to accept towage when in a dangerous situation,, i have my own experiences regarding that statement with that same superintendant, i,m sure all the old ex UT men will know who i mean !!!!