Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > Requests for Pictures, Identities and other Informations > Information of a particular ship

Old 25-11-15, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default Carrickmore

Good morning all, just got this email from Mr. Walsh, hope that you can help

Dear Sir,
I am searching for a coastal ship which would have traded regularly between Glasgow and London in 1926. I have found a photograph of "Carrickmore' but there is no further information about the ship. I would be pleased if you could supply me with anything to do with this vessel e.g what freight it carried, number of crew and if it actually called at the ports mentioned. Alternatively, I would be grateful for details of any ship sailing between these two ports around the time of the General Strike (3rd May 1926).
I look forward to your kind reply at your earliest convenience.
Yours faithfully,
Brian Walsh, Limassol, Cyprus
Unquote

A friend of mine is searching for a picture of mv "Ville de Syrte" ex "Obotrita" IMO 7907336. She had this name while on charter to CMA in 1982.....

Thank you very much in advance
Old 26-11-15, 02:00 AM

To Brian Walsh
The vessel was constructed by Lewis Shipyard in Aberdeen , yard no 77 in 1925
Owner John Kelly.

Gross tonnage 581 and overall length 52 m.
1952 renamed BALLYDENE
Demolished in Dublin Oct 1958.

Here is a photo I found, although you may have the same already.
Best regards,
Jan
Melbourne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrickmore.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	36408  
Old 26-11-15, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Hi Jan and all, got the following reply from Mr. Walsh
Dear Dierk and Jan,
Thank you so very much for the information concerning the 'Carrickmore' and the photographs. No, they are different ones from the one I have.
To further impose on your kindnesses could you please tell me if this vessel was a collier at any time and if it traded as far as Glasgow and London. Alternatively, if you know of any other coaster that may have done so I would be most grateful.
To explain, I am writing a fictional novel, part of which is set around the time leading up to the General Strike of 1926 and any help with the above references would be a great help.
Many thanks in anticipation of your kind reply
I also wish you and YOUR love one's all the best, too.
Regards
Brian Walsh, Limassol, Cyprus
Unquote
Old 26-11-15, 11:51 AM

att. Brian,
You may find more information in following book:
https://books.google.com.au/books?isbn=1783160152
David Jenkins - 2013 - ‎History
A large coasting Áeet whose vessels were to be seen regularly at Cardiff was ... The 581 gross ton steam coaster Carrickmore was built at Aberdeen in 1925 and ...

Whilst in Google: write vessel Carrickmore or ship Carrickmore, you may find more details.

Further, here is a story about the Owner of this vessel, perhaps you can use some of it.

KELLY Line

History
Samuel Kelly set up business on Queen's Quay Belfast in 1840 - initially as a "grocer and commission coal merchant". By 1861 Kelly owned his first ship, and from then until the 1980s, the Kelly Fleet carried the names of Kelly and Belfast around Europe with "Kelly's Coal Boats" becoming part of language in Coastal towns around Britain. The ships serving with distinction during two world wars.

When Samuel Kelly died in 1877 aged 57, control of the business passed to his 37 year old son John Kelly after whom the present day parent company John Kelly Limited is named.

In 1911 the firm became a limited company and, a few weeks later, took over the rival company Wm. Barkley and Sons Limited. This was the beginning of a process of growth and acquisition which resulted in the company becoming the most prominent solid fuel importer and distributor in Northern Ireland.

The business prospered under John Kelly who built a substantial trade using the fleet to bring coal to Northern Ireland. The company diversified to take account of trends in domestic heating and entered the oil business with their first road tanker in 1983. Steady growth followed with the oil business being introduced to other coal depots until Kelly Fuels became one of the largest oil distributors in the province. In 1993 Kelly’s merged with Lanes Group Limited, another significant player in the oil and solid fuel markets and used the name "Kelly Fuels".

In 1997 the acquisition of Bruce Lindsay Coal, based in Edinburgh and the Highlands of Scotland made Kelly Fuels the second largest solid fuel distributor in the U.K. The company continues to grow.
unquote
best regards,
Jan

also found more photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_1.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	36409   Click image for larger version

Name:	carrickmore.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	36410  
Old 26-11-15, 11:52 AM
canalsider

Default Carrickmore

The Carrickmore (Ballydene) was built as a collier and remained a collier all her life. She was one of a very large fleet of Kelly's colliers and that fleet was one of many that traded all around the UK coast and near continent. The Kelly colliers were mostly to be found in the confines of the Irish Sea and nearer coasts but in latter years they strayed to the East coast , continent and further afield.
As a very young deck boy I served on some of those gloriously dirty old work horses.
Old 26-11-15, 11:56 AM

And another photo as BALLYDENE
Jan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KELLY005.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	36411