Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > This and That > Harbours, Docks and Waterways > Norway

Old 25-10-13, 08:15 AM

Default Bergen Harbour c1910

A postcard view of coastal steamers at Bergen, a wonderful period scene!

(prev shown on Riversea International,hence George's excellent comments) -:

Many thanks to Jens Chr. Egenaes for an expert identification of the main vessels in this fine view!

The photograph is taken in Bergen, Norway about 1910 (+/- a year or two). The ship in the centre of the photo is S/S GUDVANGEN of 572 grt (callsign MBLK until 1934, later callsign LDZR). She was delivered in November 1903 from Bergens Mekaniske Verksted, Bergen (newbuilding no 122) to Nordre Bergenhus Amts Dambskibe, Bergen. The name of her owners was changed to Fylkesbaatane i Sogn og Fjordane, Bergen, in 1919. She gave 50 years of service to this company, until October 1953. All of this time (except between 1940 and 1945 when she was seized by the Germans), she carried passengers, mail and cargo between Bergen and the Sognefjord, Dalsfjord, Fordefjord and Nordfjord north of Bergen. In October 1953 she was sold to A/S Losjement, Maaloy, Norway, and renamed LOSJEMENT. She was now used as an accommodation ship in Maaloy (lodging herring fishers) until May 1957, when she was sold to Brodrene Anda, Stavanger, Norway, to be broken up.

The ship to the right is S/S KOMMANDOREN (c/s JVHM until 1934, later c/s LEGO, 434 grt). She was delivered in June 1891 from Akers Mekaniske Verksted, Kristiania (Oslo), Norway (yard no 132), owned by the same company and employed in the same trade as the GUDVANGEN. KOMMANDOREN ended her life in Bergen harbour in March 1945 when she was torpedoed by a German torpedo boat (the torpedo was fired by a drunk sailor of the latter).

The ship in the background is a coastal passenger and mail steamer of Det Nordenfjeldske Dampskibsselskab, Trondheim, Norway, possibly S/S HAAKON JARL of 1879 (yard no 273 of Motala Mekaniska Werkstads AB, Lindholmen, Gothenburg, Sweden).

Rick Cox collection,postcard by K.Knudsen,Bergen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BERGEN .jpg
Views:	521
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	13115